Sound systems that emphasize dialog

• 3 replies

RetroBlast

• Reformed retrogamer
Sound systems that emphasize dialog
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for getting dialog to stand out above the sound effects and music?

My wife watches TV with the remote in her hand, constantly raising the volume when characters are talking, then turning it down when the shooting starts...drives me nuts.
-- Kev

Zakk

• Been all up in there, and down the other side.
Re: Sound systems that emphasize dialog
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »
My soundblaster has an option just for that, but of course PC based.  It's designed for FPS to accentuate enemy player sounds (I believe). 

Or you can just get her some wireless headphones or an earpiece that would put the sound right in her ear? 
I have a lovely bunch of coconuts.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
Perhaps a specialized hearing aid is going to be the solution?  Has she had a proper hearing test done?
I'm sunshine on a stick!

RetroBlast

• Reformed retrogamer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »
Hearing is definitely a factor - she's refusing to get tested. That said, I'm noticing it a bit as well - characters are mumbling, then suddenly BOOM! music and gunfire at max volume.

I had a 7.1 receiver before and messed with it constantly, never to her satisfaction. Gave up and got a soundbar with the newest TV...still, not getting the sound mix she or I really want.

I'll chalk it up to getting old. That, or having 5.1 surround squished down into a soundbar...
-- Kev

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal