Backyard reno

• 6 replies

Aggravated Battery

Backyard reno
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »
Greetings all.  Just wanted to share a renovation I have currently underway.  The backyard has an old set of 90's pavers, and a 14 year old pool and pool house.  The plan is to remove the pavers, put in new more modern pavers, expand the deck area, renovate the pool house, and build a large outdoor fireplace.  The quotes I got for doing just the pavers was insane ($15,000), so I decided to buy the parts and tools myself. 
Below is the plan for the backyard.
I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

Re: Backyard reno
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
1st step was ripping up the wood deck where the hot tub is to be relocated.  Once the drop shipment of new stone and chips-n-dust showed up, I pulled the boards up, pushed aside the river rock that was there, and started to pull up and lay down pavers.  Heat has been 100 deg every day, so work has been slow, not to mention the wear and tear on my spine.  I joked to my wife that this might be a 5 year project...

I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
Work is slow, removing all the old stone, moving retaining walls, tearing down decks etc take more time than one might think. However, there is also progress. I put out some feelers today to a company that can move a hottub, so that's good. Anyway, here's where it's at.  I'm about to start working on the upper railings and the color scheme today...
I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »
So after buying the stone, the chips n dust, a gasoline tamper, the stone saw and extra blades, I'm into the job $3500 (taxes in).  NO IDEA where the ****ers got their price of $15,000.  Guess there just isn't anyone doing physical labor anymore, who knows.  At $6,000 I would have probably paid it, but $15K???
I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Worked on the upper level deck, had to rebuild a lot of it "in place", made worse by the fact that a large nest of (now) angry carpenter ants decided to voice and show their displeasure with my destruction of their entire town.
I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:13:27 AM »
So now the electrical lines are in, the drainage pipe is in, and all the fill and old brick has been removed... it's down to levelling all the substrate and laying in all the stone.  There's a fair bit of a drop from the house to the pool edge, so it's not going to be flat, but it is what it is, and water flow is more important than a 5 deg (or less) slope, and the way the loungers will be arranged we won't be sitting sideways at an angle, so I need to get onto finishing this before the snow flies.
I'm sunshine on a stick!

Aggravated Battery

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
Down to the final cuts on the pavers.  Kind of hard to get the curves and contours cut into the stone, but not impossible... So once they are all in place, I can go around and re-do any high/low spots and any wiggling pavers, then lock it all in with polymeric sand.  Once that is done I can start the fireplace build. I picked up firebricks, a clay flue piece, and some firebricks, I figure I'll just start building and see where it takes me. 
I'm sunshine on a stick!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal